Child has bipolar disorder. EEG showed mild encephalopathy, MRI showed spot on brain. Diagnosis?

my 9yo granddaughter was dx with bipolar disorder when she was 6yo. The finally did a EEG and brain MRI because her behavior was getting worse. The EEG showed mild encephalopathy and the MRI showed a 4mm spot on her brain (I don't know what part). What does this mean?
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Bipolar Disorder
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 23 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I have noted your problem.

The EEG changes that you have described in your grand daughter may be seen in various conditions. The medicines that are used to treat bipolar disorder can also cause the same EEG changes. Other conditions that can cause are thyroid problem, low sodium in blood.

As there are various other cause to explain the spot in MRI brain, I would suggest you to upload the MRI report. It can help me exclude a few possibilities.

That being said, I feel that she may be evaluated by a neurologist and rule out any possibility of neurological disorder or seizure.

Best wishes