Child coughing for a week, worsens at night, no fever, sweaty forehead. Taken cough syrup

Hi, my six year old has been coughing for over a week. No fever but sweaty/clammy forehead. Cough seems to be getting worse. Especially at night. Have been giving her cough syrup.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 40 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Cough syrup only dilute the sputum for easy expectoration. Anti-allergic component of it can suppress cough, & can give some relief if cough have allergic component.

As your daughter has been coughing for more than a week, she is probably suffering with some throat pain, consult an ENT specialist, otherwise consult a Pediatrician, get her examined and treat as per prescription.

Please ask her to avoid cold water/drinks, chocolates and oily food.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma