Can take primolut N 5 mg continuously for 5 month to delay a period. Will there be any problem?

Question
Can i take primolut N 5 mg continuously for 5 or 6 months to delay a period.have been very tired with my flows and i have got some projects and travelling that needs to happen til end of Nov this year. wanted to know if that's ok. I have been prescibed with that 2 a day.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 29 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

For postponement of menstruation, the dose of Tab. Primolut-N is not twice, but it is thrice daily.

It is a hormonal pill. For postponement of menstruation, it should not be taken for more than 10 days usually.

For Menorrhagia and premenstrual syndrome, it is given twice/thrice daily from 19th to 26th day of menstrual cycle.

To control heavy bleeding you can take Tab. Mefanamic acid-500mg thrice daily during menstruation.

Thank you for posting your query. Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Can take primolut N 5 mg continuously for 5 month to delay a period. Will there be any problem? 12 minutes later
if i were to follow what you have prescibed in terms of frequency, would I be able to postpone for the next 4 months at least.
Thk u.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 18 minutes later

Welcome again,

Thrice daily is it's usual dose.

You have to take it at scheduled time.

For treatment of Endometriosis, it can be given for six months.

If you want to take Primolute-N for more than 10 days, for postponement of menstruation, you should consult a Gynecologist. I will not recommend its use for more than 10 days, for this purpose.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Can take primolut N 5 mg continuously for 5 month to delay a period. Will there be any problem? 4 minutes later
I heard that it helps with fibroids and also since I am at the perimenopausal stage, it should help me with getting my periods end eventually. please clarify.
really appreciate your time.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 2 hours later

Welcome again,

It can be used for treatment of symptoms due to fibroid, but at present you don't have any symptoms due to fibroid.

It can be of use if you are suffering with premenopausal syndrome, but you are not suffering with it.

Side effects of Primolut-N are following:-

Gastrointestinal & liver disturbances, Jaundice, Skin reactions, Chloasma, Melasma, Menstrual & cervical changes, mask menopause, Irregular/breakthrough bleeding, edema, rash, Depression, Mastodynia, decreased glucose tolerance, weight changes and thromboembolic disease etc.

Thus, if you want to use it for long duration, without requirement, at your own risk, you can take it.

To control heavy bleeding, I have advised you to take Tab. Mefanamic acid-500mg thrice daily during menstruation only. For anemia you should take Iron capsule daily with meal.

With good wishes,