Can Tegretol cause weight gain and extreme tiredness?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Can Tegretol cause weight gain and extreme tiredness.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mild weight gain. Yes can cause tiredness.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Tegretol is known to cause tiredness in 1 in 10 people. However, this would not necessarily be extreme tiredness.
Weight gain whilst taking Tegretol is less common, occurring in 1 in a 100 people and, if it occurs, is relatively minor weight gain.
On reviewing you other medications, I see you are on two benzodiazepines (Clobazam and Clonazepam). Both of these can also cause tiredness. This may result in you feeling extremely tired when added to the possible effect of Tegretol.
Also, Atorvastatin can cause weight gain in 1 in a 1000 people. So may be a contribution to any weight gain.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,