Burned on a hair straightening iron. Applied neosporin. What can I do to treat this?

My son just burned himself on a hair straightening iron. . . It is a small circle the size of a pea but has a surrounding red patch of about 1.5 inches. The little circle does not look to XXXXXXX or indented but the skin inside of it is a whiter color then his normal skin tone. What can I do to treat this? I have applied neosporin and put a bandaid on it. Is there anything else I can do to treat this and make his pain less. He is fussing and saying it hurts.
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 50 minutes later

Thanks for your query on XXXXXXX

Superficial burns are very painful as the nerve endings are injured. You have done the right thing by applying the ointment and band aid. You can give him paracetamol/acetaminophen syrup three times a day to reduce the pain.

Over the next day or two you should just ensure that the wound is clean and dry. It shall take a few days to heal with new skin covering the wound.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery...