Bumps on upper lip, had burn and tingling bumps on penis, IgG HSV-1 +ve, HSV-2 -ve

Dermatologist
Question
I HAD THE IGG TYPE SELECT TEST AND IT CAME OUT HSV-1 (5.44 POSITIVE) AND HSV-2(0.91 NEGATIVE). THE ONLY THING THAT I HAVE HAD ARE SOME BUMPS ON THE PENIS HEAD BUT NO BLISTERS AND NO ITCHING BUT A LITTLE BURN AND TINGLING. NOW I HAVE A BEAD OF BUMPS ON MY UPPER LIP BUT NOT BLISTERS. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT i WAS EXPOSED TO HSV-1 BUT DONT HAVE IT. I KNOW THE BODY BUILDS ANTIBODIES WHEN EXPOSED TO THIS. I HAD NO FLU LIKE SYMPTOMS ALSO.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 2 hours later
Thanks for posting this interesting question.

Positivity for IgG HSV-1 does not mean anything if there is no clinical correlation.

HSV-1 is a ubiquitous virus and most of the adults are exposed to it and thus the body forms IgG type of antibodies against it. SO the test coming out to be positive does not mean that you have herpes (either genital or labial).

It's the IgM type of antibody which is more specific as it indicates an ongoing or recent infection.

IgG of HSV-2 coming as negative means that either you have not been exposed to the virus or you your body has still not mounted an immunological response to it.

But in any case, the test reports must be looked into keeping the clinical picture in mind.

To answer your question, it is very much possible that you have been exposed to HSV-1 but you do not have the clinical disease (which is the most common scenario).

I hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Bumps on upper lip, had burn and tingling bumps on penis, IgG HSV-1 +ve, HSV-2 -ve 28 hours later
SO WHAT TEST WOULD SHOW DEFINITE ANDI KNOW HSV-1 IS NO BIG DEAL. AND WHEN WILL THESE BUMPS ON MY LIPS GO AWAY. AND THE BURNING ON THE TIP OF PENIS IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE OPENING AND THAT WAXES AND WANES AND HAS BEEN FOR 5.5 WEEKS, THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE OPENING GETS INFLAMED AND AROUND THE OPENING ITS PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS RED. ALSO I NOTICE WHEN I HAVE A BOWEL MOVEMENT IT HURTS LLIKE SOMETHING IS IN THE WAY, SO IN THE SHOWER I FELT IN THERE AND IT FELT LIKE A GROWTH BUT I DO HAVE HEMORROIDS,HURTS TO WIPE THEN OK. IF JUST EXPOSED HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE BEFORE EVERYTHING IS BAC TO NORMAL? IS THIS MY BODY FIGHTING THE EXPOSURE AND NOT LETTING IT IN? BUMPS ON MY PENIS GO BACK AND FORTH BUT NOT BLISTERS WHEN WILL THAT GO AWAY ALSO. IT SEEMS LIKE THE BURNING IS NOT GETTING AS FREQUENT SO MAYBE IT WILL BE NOT MUCH LONGER.

ALSO I HAVE BEEN TO A UROLOGIST AND A DERMATOLOGIST AND THEY DONT SEE ANYTHING LIKE HERPES ON MY PENIS HEAD. SO WHEN WILL THIS ALL SUBSIDE?

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 9 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

This may subside soon.

As I suggested in my last post, use a mild steroid antifungal cream(clotrimazole and cortisone cream).

As for the tests, do not get any more tests done.

HSV-2(herpes simplex-2) IgG negative settles all doubts of genital herpes.

Follow-up: Bumps on upper lip, had burn and tingling bumps on penis, IgG HSV-1 +ve, HSV-2 -ve 3 days later
So I COULD NOT HAVE HSV-1 GENITAL BUT EVERYTHING IS SETTLING DOWN OW IT HAS BEEN ABOUT 6 WEEKS. SO DO YOU THINK i WAS JUST EXPOSED TO HSV-1 VIA ORAL FROM GIRL? I SHOULD BE O.K. AND MY HSV-2 WAS NOT 0.91 IT SAID LESS THAN 0.91 SO DEFINITELY NEGATIVE FOR HSV-2.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 19 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Yes,
Being exposed to HSV-1 via oral route is a possibility.

But your HSV-2 antibody level is definitely negative.