Bruised skin on the elbow. No injury. No pain and swelling. Have to go for blood test. Advice?

I was blow drying my hair this morning and notice a bruise right next to my right elbow. It's almost the size of a golf ball. I can't recall any injury besides cleaning the bathrooms the night before. There is no pain or swollen. Can this be something to concern or maybe caused from an injury that I wasn't aware of? I just had a blood test back in April and it came back normal. Please advised.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Answer 1) No. If it is at this part only and no other complaints there is no need for concern now.

Answer 2.) Yes,it is possible that this might be an injury which you might not be aware of.

Whenever there is great pressure on the part, injury or any form of insult to the part bruising can happen.

At times it is possible that you might had some injury or pressure to the part which leads to breakage of capillaries of blood inside skin and muscles and can lead to bruising.

The size is significant, please do following.

Apply ice to the area.

Take analgesic for pain if you have, like Tylenol 2-3 times in a day.

Avoid lifting weight or heavy work with that hand.

Keep watching it for increase in size or pain.

Please visit your symptoms worsen.

In such case you may need some investigation like blood counts and other tests as per advise from your doctor.

Normally it will take about a week or two get it cleared.

You can continue your normal daily activity and routine.

I hope this answers your query,I will be glad to reply any follow up queries that you have.