Bruise on outer foot, getting bigger. Ran a marathon and have muscle ache. Is there a concern?

I ran a marathon and have several muscle aches. My concern is a bruise on the outside of my right foot. It seems to be getting bigger. Is there a concern with this?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding your concern.

First of all congratulations on finishing the marathon. This is a huge accomplishment and you deserve some reward in the sense of congratulation. Regarding the symptoms on your foot I think this is something that is not extremely worrisome and does not require emergency intervention.

What you are experiencing is a mild hematoma. This most likely occurred during or near the end of the race and happened inside the foot itself. Right now and you are witnessing the blood from the injury working its way towards the surface of your skin. Very likely at the color of this XXXXXXX will change to a blue to XXXXXXX looking diffuse area of injury. You may experience a mild degree of tenderness in the area in question. This should slowly resolved over the next 10 to 14 days.

At this time I would recommend that you do not take any aspirin or aspirin containing products. I would also recommend that you use some warm soaks on your foot for the next couple of days. The warm soaks will help some of the blood get re-absorbed. At this time there is no indication for any ice since I think the injury is now over.

If you're still having some discomfort I recommend you take Tylenol for pain relief.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Bruise on outer foot, getting bigger. Ran a marathon and have muscle ache. Is there a concern? 2 hours later
I don't have any other questions. I just wanted to share my relief that the bruise is not a concern.

Natalia Hayes
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later

Thank you once again for writing back.

Good to hear that.

If you have any additional concerns in the future please let us know.

Wish you good health.