Broke femur. Had surgery and infection. Staf infection same as MRSA?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
a friend broke his femur, had surgery, thought he was good, got very ill, did surgery again to remove a sponge left inside and had a major staff infection. It keep occurring about every two weeks, just can't seem to get rid of. Some friends think he is not going to the right Dr, he must be quack - just needs to change dr - he is actually in Cedar of Lebanon Hospital, one of the best in LA, now in intensive care. Is staff the same as MRSA , I am terribly worried about the seriousness of his condition/

Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 minutes later
Staph infection is same as MRSA and is often difficult to treat specially in surgical patients. Since a sponge was left inside, it is a good source of infection.
He needs a regular monitoring and intravenous antibiotics to control the septicaemia that he is having.
In case his vital signs are not showing an improvement even after one week of regular treatment then you may consider shifting him to another hospital or a second opinion from another specialist after a physical examination.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.