Blood work done and ALT was slightly high. Triglycerides also elevated. Could drinking wine cause this?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Had blood work done after being at a wedding the day before. My ALT was slightly high at 43. Triglycerides were also elevated to 180. ALT, bilirubin, GGT, all normal. Could drinking 3-4 glasses of wine the afternoon before have caused this? All other liver functions were normal. I was fasting for 10 hours.
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.

I have read through your query in detail.

ALT at 43 is acceptable. Normal range of ALT is 10-40 U/L in some labs and 7-55 U/L in some. Such small elevation is negligible and should not be taken as due to any health condition or wine intake. It may be just normal for you.

Triglycerides at 180 may be considered borderline high. Normal range is less than 150 mg/ dl. Triglycerides usually respond well to dietary and lifestyle changes. It might be possible that your food intake had an effect on this if you did not have raised levels earlier.

I hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor

Follow-up: Blood work done and ALT was slightly high. Triglycerides also elevated. Could drinking wine cause this? 11 minutes later
This is a copy of my report. I was alarmed .

Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Triglycerides is a concern

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in with an update and send a copy of your report.

I find that carbon dioxide is borderline low, while serum albumin and A/G ratio are borderline high and acceptable.

The ALT is little raised (43), however is not something very significantly high liver enzymes, i don't think that there is anything to worry about unless your ALT was really low before.

You need to keep your triglycerides under check.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor