Blocked ear, mild ear ache. Suffered from typhoid, neck muscle spasm. Is typhoid the reason for blocked ear?

ENT Specialist
hello dr . i have a relapse of typhoid but in the first attack of typhoid i was also suffering from a neck muscle spasm before which i had a severe cold ...from the begining i suffered from a ear ache or more like a pulling in the back of the ears .my ent dr said i had no ear infection... is it because of the typhoid that i get this blocked ear feeling and mild ear ache . i had typhoid on 21st march cured and then relapsed typhoid on 28th...i also get cramps in my leg ..please advice
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding ear ache along with cold and there is confussion weather your ear is having infection or not. Here I would like to tell you that some time pain is felt in healthy ear and in reality the disease remaines in some other part, this particular condition is labelled as Referred otalgia.Most common diseases giving rise to referred pain are-

(a) Carious tooth- Some times dental carries in last molars give rise to pain in ear of same side.

(b) Posterior part of tongue- More often ulcers in posterior third of tongue give rise to referred pain in ear of same side.

(c) Tonsils- Many times it has been seen that ulcers on tonsils and even acute fillicular tonsillitis give rise to pain in ear.

(d) Ehstachian tube infection- This is a tube connecting throat to middle ear, and in sore throat most of the time it gets infected and swollen and blocked than after patient feels heaviness in ear along with pain. Your case comes in this catagery.

(f) Jaw joint- Arthritis of jaw joint is well known for giving pain to same side of ear.

Keeping these facts in mind opinion of your ENT doctor appears to be correct, but if even you have any doubt than you may go for two basic investigations to clarify the doubts. these are-

(1) Audiometery.

(2) M.R.I.of ear.

In this way you may reach to correct diagnosis which may be accordingly plan for treatment.

Follow-up: Blocked ear, mild ear ache. Suffered from typhoid, neck muscle spasm. Is typhoid the reason for blocked ear? 16 minutes later
thank u dr XXXXXXX ....i did go to a dentist too who checked my teeth and although my last tooth is just a little broken piece left as the cap broke and it can not be fitted again ,the dentist said it was not the cause for my ear ache but now i have my doubts as it is on the same side of the ear that aches. so i am confused what to do now .also should i consult my GP or which specialist for a eustacian tube infection... my last resort would be an mri but what would i be looking for in a ear mri if u could let me know..... also my leg cramps should i be worried about it or let it be ....
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 5 hours later

Welcome again in H.C.M.for your doubts.

Since you are having cold with pain in ear so chances of eustachian tube obstruction is most likely, Therefore you may take-

(a) Antibiotic- Amoxicillin (625 mg) three times in a day.

(b) Analgesic- Paracetamol (500 mg) twice daily.

(c) Steam inhalation.

Your next query about M.R.I. ear, Here in diseased ear you will find thickening of mucus membrain of middle ear with claudiness of mastoid air cells.

If by above treatment you don't get relief than please consult ent doctor because in all above listed causes of referred pain in ear except tooth all are treated by ENT doctor.

Follow-up: Blocked ear, mild ear ache. Suffered from typhoid, neck muscle spasm. Is typhoid the reason for blocked ear? 3 days later
sorry dr my internet was not available hence could not check answer earlier . in the meanwhile i went to another ent who said same conclusion a u so was happy and prescribed an anti allergy and a muscle relaxent ..medicine MonDeslox and myospaz and a diclonac gel for 7 days and has worked wonders . my worry now is my spasm was on right side of nec but yesterday it came on center and left side.. the gel helps the stiffness but i am worried that i may have tb in lymph nodes ....i may sound funny but researching my symtems on net has made me wonder .. i get a slight fever about 98.8 or 99 by little exertion and break out into a sweat in 45 mins... i have just done a chest x XXXXXXX as i have this very rare dry cough ever since my first typhoid attack so am wondering if i have tb . my GP has asked me to monitor my temp as he says afte such a long course of antibiotics i should not have any fever ....i understand i should not play dr.but i do worry please advice thank u..:)
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for recalling.

If you are suspecting any lymph node as tubercular than you may clear your doubt by FNAC test of lymph nodes. This is a very simple investigation and will clear the matter.