Child stopped sleeping after getting vaccination dose. Any reason?

Nov 2013

Hi Doc ,

My kid is 1 year 3 months old. Since a week , his sleeping habit has become an alarming one! Last week , he had his vaccination dose. Coincidentally , he caught cold and a slight fever. Since then , he has literally stopped eating and drinks only milk or some fruit.Apartly, he has stopped sleeping. Just 2 days back, he was awake for 48 hours continuously...he doesnt cry ot fuss but just plays!!!
His cold and fever has diminished but he is in a non-stop play mode.We even gave him Pedicloryl Syrup on the Doctor's consult. It worked only for one day but now Pedicloryl seems uneffective on him!
Please suggest me on what should be done as we are very much worried on his sleeplessnes.It is also affecting me the most as i have to scoot to office in the day and stay awake the whole night.
Please let me know at the ealiest.
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
My reply is below

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your concern because of your son's sleeplessness. However, I would like to reassure you that there is no need to worry, as he is playful and has no neurological deficits.

As of now, you can use a small dose of clonazepam at night. Normally, a dose of 0.5 mg half tablet may be given. Another option is to use diazepam. The usual dose would be 5 mg half tablet. Since these are prescription medications, you would need to get it prescribed by his doctor.

He would improve in a few days.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Child stopped sleeping after getting vaccination dose. Any reason? 3 hours later
Thanks a ton for your relieving answer. I was worried if he had some disorder.
Keeping fingers crossed:)
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you

Detailed Answer:
Thank you and best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)