Getting chills and fever postpartum. Taking thyroid medication. What should I do?

Mar 2016

My wife delivered a baby girl on 27th oct 2013 (C-Section). stiches were removed after a week and the wound has healed completely. She now gets chills in the afternoon or evening which persist for an hour or two and then it subsides by itself after wearing woolen clothing. She is on tyroid medication since 2nd trimester and still on medication(Thyronorm 25 mcg). She also gets slight fever when she gets chills around 99.2, 99.4 etc...Temperature in this place is always high and it's difficult to wear warm cloths for both mother and child. what should we do?
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: FOLLOW THE GUIDELINE. CONSULT WITH HER DOCTOR. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. According to your given information, I can assume that low grade fever with chills 2 weeks after C-section may be due to Pelvic infection from collection in POD (Pouch Of Douglas) or Urinary Tract Infection. Here, I suggest to undergo one pelvic ultrasound scan (to exclude any XXXXXXX collection), Urine examination - Routine & Culture, Complete Blood count, ESR etc to rule out underlying causative agent and pinpoint the diagnosis. You can consult with her gynecologist for proper guidance. In this circumstance, following treatment regimen can be followed: 1) Anti-pyretic: Paracetamol is given until her fever subsides. It is combined with antacid. Cold sponging if required. 2) Antibiotic: Amoxicillin - Clavulunate or Cephalosporin group of drug is usually preferred. It is required to eliminate XXXXXXX or urinary infection. 3) Urine Alkaliser : It is given for alkalinisation of urine and to reduce bacterial overload. You must consult with her doctor for proper dosing and complete prescription after overall clinical evaluation and reviewing of test reports. In addition to above, she would take protein XXXXXXX healthy diet with iron & calcium supplement, drink cranberry juice and plenty of water (3 Liter/ day) to eliminate body toxin, maintain genital hygiene properly, empty bladder in time, precaution to be taken before & after sexual intercourse. Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification. Wish her good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW