Ate small piece of chicken bone, feeling something stuck in throat. What to do?

General Surgeon
Question
I ate small piece of chicken bone and my throat hurts and I feel something stuck in my throat. What can I do?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

If it were small enough to swallow it, you should be able to push it down to your stomach. You may try to swallow a big chunk of bread and see if it will push it down.
However if it was bigger part of the bone or it will stuck in your esophagus for good, medical attention will be necessary. In such case you should visit your doctor, have barium swallow test and/or upper GI endoscopy performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Ate small piece of chicken bone, feeling something stuck in throat. What to do? 5 hours later
I am able to eat fine the only thing is that hurt when I. swallowed even just saliva.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 hours later
Hello!

So if you feel it has stuck in your throat or caused any inflammation, you should visit your doctor, ask him to take a look at your throat and if nothing is there, either barium swallow or endoscopy should be done.

Hope this will help.
Regards.