Are there any side effects of the Tdap vaccine?

ENT Specialist
I had a Tdap Vaccine about 48 hours ago and my jaw/teeth on my right side (same side of the shot) have been throbbing since an hour after the shot. I've been taking Advil and Tylenol but the pain has yet to go away entirely. When I'm due for my next dose of pain meds, the throbbing returns and is very, very painful. I saw the nurse practitioner of my doctor today and she said I just have TMJ. News to me, I've never had TMJ before.
Could this be a side-effect or allergic reaction to the vaccine and perhaps my doctor is unaware of it?
Many thanks!
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

In relation to the side effects following administration of Tdap vaccine in adults, most frequently encountered side effects are fever, swelling in the injection site and over that part of the limb, headache, nausea and vomiting.

Occasionally there can be soreness of the joints and the salivary glands ( WWW.WWWW.WW . For the pain relief, you can take over the counter medicines like paracetamol for the pain.

Avoid Chewing on the affected side, eat only soft food and apply pain relieving gel (such as Diclofenac gel) over the affected joint. If the symptom worsens or does not improve please do consult a good Internist.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon