Allergic to sulfa. Is sulfur and sulfa the same? Could I use sulfur?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
Is sulfur and sulfa the same? I an allergic to sulfa,,bacterium , could I use sulfur?
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
This is not the same. Sulfa are antibiotics that contain sulfur,but allergic reaction happens due to some other elements of these antibiotics. Sulfur is an element that is necessary to our body so if you are allergic to sulfa(sulfonamides) it doesnt mean that you are allergic to substances that contain sulfur. Actually,sulfur allergies does not occur,unlike sulfa allergies which are commonly seen. Also you can be allergic to sulfites which are found in certain food and wine so some people have headaches or rash after sulfite intake, but as i said sulfur is not problematic for you. wish you good health. Regards