After colonoscopy have had slight fever without any other symptoms. Took analgesic. Suggest?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Hello, Dr. Stanko. I have noticed since writing you that since the colonoscopy yesterday morning I have had a slight fever of about 101 without any other symptoms so far.I just took an analgesic. Is this likely just to be a coincidence or a result of the sedative?.
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 5 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

It is just perfect that you have taken an analgesic, even antipyretic like paracetamol will do

It has nothing to do with the sedative, but usually we find this type of transient febrile periods after the procedures like colonoscopy

If there are no associated abdominal symptoms, you need not worry

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern

Follow-up: After colonoscopy have had slight fever without any other symptoms. Took analgesic. Suggest? 12 minutes later
Thank you.My temperature is now almost normal, but I feel kind oflike a flu. How long does it last? Last time I did not have any such symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 0 minute later
Hi

Thanks for your followup query

It would usually pass away in 48-72 hours

It does not happen always nor in all patients

Hope this clears your doubts
Do write back if you need any extra information

Follow-up: After colonoscopy have had slight fever without any other symptoms. Took analgesic. Suggest? 1 minute later
Actually I just took my temperature again, and it is back over 101. I took the paracetamol 5 hours ago.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 minutes later
Hi

If there are no other symptoms related to GI track

I would suggest you take paracetamol 650mg every eight hours for two days, if the fever continues, then you need to go for a complete blood count with peripheral smear and take treatment accordingly

Hope this helps
Wishing you a speedy recovery

Follow-up: After colonoscopy have had slight fever without any other symptoms. Took analgesic. Suggest? 6 minutes later
I took 2 X 500 mg paracetamol five hours ago.
And what causes a fever in the first place if not the sedative?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later
Hi

The dose of paracetamol is adequate

The fever is usually due to inflammation of the mucosa following the cleansing and procedure

Hope this clears your doubts
Get well soon

Thank you again. So since I have no pain or other symptoms I should not expect bloody stools when I start moving my bowels again or hopefully no perforation?
The last time I did the colonoscopy 3 years ago I had no fever symptoms at all.
How do we understand that?

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for updating

Anyways with no symptoms related to abdomen and GI track

I feel we have adequate reasons to wait for another 24-48 hours, before subjecting you to any investigations

Hope all clear
Wishing you a healthy life ahead