Abdominal pain below the ribs.

I have a sharp pain in my left middle abdomen two inches down from rib it has been happening for couple months and getting more frequent with less time in between pain. The pain today is remaining and not intermittent , but still stabbing not chronically, but hurs! When it stabs out of the blue it feels extremley painful and i wince and grab side. i am 47 years old female.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later

You say you have a stabbing, intermittent pain on the left side of your abdomen about two inches below the ribs. Based on this description, I think your pain is probably due to a renal calculus.
Does it also pain in the same line at the back too?
Does the pain go downwards to the urinary passage?
And does it make you bend forwards?

Stones in the kidney can give pain whenever they move from a wider to a narrow area (kidneys to pelvis, ureters). This occurs due to the body's attempt to throw out the stone by contracting the part.

What you can do is drink atleast three litres of water a day and include lemon barley juice thrice a day; take an over the counter antispasmodic pain reliever twice a day; and hope it passes out.

There is also a possibility that it may be something in the intestines although it does not sound like it.

I suggest you try the above measures that I suggested. But if the pains are too frequent, it would be wise to go for a checkup and sonography to narrow down the cause. Your primary physician can help you streamline the test to you.

Hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Do get back if you have a follow up query otherwise indicate your acceptance of my answer.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain below the ribs. 3 hours later not have pain in my back just front. It hurts when I breathe
In or stretch to the right. Then it some
Times stabs when I am just sitting down or
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 18 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

I still think it could be due to a kidney stone.

Please follow the advise I have already given. Consult your primary care physician to confirm the exact cause.

Wish you a speedy recovery.