16 month baby have cold, cough and breathing problem. Is it safe to continue montair lc kid for a month?

ENT Specialist
Question
hi
My baby( 16 monthold) had cold and cough for 3 days and one night while sleeping he got croup cough and had breathing problem.I taken him to hospital they give nebulisation and i continue this for 3 days after that i taken him to other pediatrician he gave omnicortil and AB phyline syrup .After that he waas ok .But doctor has given Montair LC kid syrup for 1 month.Is it good for health?
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Montair LC is a combination of Levocetrizine (anti-allergic) and Montelukast (anti-leukotriene). It is a good anti-allergic commonly used in children.

2. Omnacortil is a steroid and AB Phylline is an anti-inflammatory mucolytic. Cough is a protective reflex for the airway and hence is usually not suppressed in children.

3. I would like to point out that Croup (Acute Laryngotracheobronchitis or ALTB) is most likely due to an viral or bacterial infection. Steroids may flare up an infection and hence sometimes an antibiotic cover may be necessary.

4. Since there is a history of breathlessness, get Neck & Chest X-rays (PA and Lateral views) done. Get a Radiologist, Pediatrician or an ENT Specialist to rule out the presence of the 'Steeple Sign' (sub-glottic airway narrowing) and the 'Thumb Sign' (Epiglottitis).

I must emphasize that ALTB is very common in childhood and that there is no cause for worry. Also remember to check his immunization schedule later after he has recovered.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: 16 month baby have cold, cough and breathing problem. Is it safe to continue montair lc kid for a month? 12 hours later
Thank you for your answer.
Still i have doubts .we checked the blood and found that viral infection .Is it required to do again x XXXXXXX ? will it come again .
i also given HIB vaccine .is it a permenant problem? or temperory problem ? can you suggest some home remedies or food control
also doctors told that it is Laryngotracheobronchitis by checking blood .is it required to suspect for epiglottis or 'Steeple Sign'
breathing problem in the sense he was crying and the voice was coming out along with barking sound .
viral infection is it completely different from epiglottis or steeple sign

Thank you for writing back again.

1. Ideally, the X-rays should have been done at the onset of breathlessness and barking cough (Croup) since these are acute signs. If his breathlessness and cough has reduced, you may now avoid the X-rays.

2.As I have mentioned in Point 3 of my previous answer, the cause for Croup is mostly viral infection.

3. Only HiB vaccination may not prevent Croup. A pentavalent vaccine such as Pentaxim is better. Seasonal influenza vaccines are also available. However there is no universal vaccine available. In addition, no vaccination provides 100% protection. Usually, after a viral infection there is lifelong immunity to that particular virus strain. There are other causes of Croup besides viral infections and hence there is no permanent solution. Rule out acid reflux. Common allergic food includes milk, egg, wheat, soya, fish and nuts (beans). Supervised steam inhalation and humidification is a good household remedy.

3. Croup (Acute Laryngotracheobronchitis or ALTB) is a clinical diagnosis. Blood tests are not mandatory for diagnosis. Epiglottitis and 'Steeple Sign' need to be ruled out if there is breathlessness.

4. Barking sound while s=crying or coughing is typical of Croup.

5. Viral infection is one of the many causes which can cause Croup. Epiglottitis and 'Steeple Sign' are signs seen in X-rays of children with acute Croup.

I must emphasize that ALTB is very mild in most children, with 100% recivery.

Regards.

Follow-up: 16 month baby have cold, cough and breathing problem. Is it safe to continue montair lc kid for a month? 1 hour later
actually when we admitted the baby first they told they will take x XXXXXXX and some tests.but they checked only the blood and found that acute Laryngotracheobronchitis .And all other parameters were ok.By seeing the baby they given nebulisation and baby was fine .with 0ne week baby was fine . and i was continuing the above medicines.i stopped 2 weeks back and again a slight fever started.Slightly his voice is changed.and while sleeping deeply a slight snorining like sound i can hear. no cough .doctor told to give wikorly syrup along with Montair LC kid syrup.I am scared now again the croup will stat or not .

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for writing back again.

1. There is no way of predicting whether the symptoms will relapse.

2. You may continue with the current medication and keep a close watch for any worsening of the symptoms.

3. Discuss this with your physician and let your physician decide the need for X-rays or more medication as he can directly observe your child as often as necessary. Nebulisation may be given again.

4. Also get a an X-ray Skull lateral view to rule out adenoid tissue hypertrophy as he has snoring even though he is still one and a half years old.

Regards.