Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

126 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Why does nitroglycerin cause headaches?

Why does nitroglycerin cause such crazy headaches?
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
  User's Response
Not to all people,,,however, nitroglycerin, causes a notorious dilatation of the intracranial veins, and in persons prone to headaches and migraine, it may trigger a very trublesome "hedache" bordering with migraine...the reason is: All veins inside of the cranium have nervous terminals surrounding them , innervated by beta sympathetic fibers, sensitive to pain....when a vein dilates a bit too much, the distension of the vessel causes pain, quite exactly in the same manner, that our big bowel gives us pain or colics when is too distended... If nitroglycerin causes too much headache, its time to change it for another cardio protective vasodilator, for instance, nifedipine slow release.....or amliodipine 5 mg BD.... Its a matter of personal sensitivity to a particular medication...
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....