Which is better among root canal treatment and filling ?

what is better rct or filling?
Thu, 25 Apr 2013
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm,
As you asked ,there is no matter which treatment is better,it is the invovement of decay or infected pulp and periapical infection of tooth which decides the treatment of tooth.
If the decay is extended only till dentin of tooth,restoration is sufficient.
If the decay has progressed into pulp and periapical tissue,get root canal treatment done.
A thorough clinical and x-ray evaluation will help to rule out the Treatment plan.
Please get further check up by your dentist.
aLways maintain good oral hygiene.
Prevention is better than cure.
Get dental check-up in every 6 months.
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
If there is pulp involvement then RCT is recommended otherwise restoration is sufficient.
first get an x-ray done to see the pulpal involvement.
visit the dentist and plan your treatment accordingly.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

RCT and filling are two different treatment modalities that totally depends upon the tooth condition.

Infection restricted to enamel and dentine with no pain, or just having cold sensitivity can be treated with filling.

Infection of the tooth involving the pulp tissue, hot sensitivity, tenderness over touching and grinding are treated with root canal treatment.

I would suggest you to take an x-ray of the tooth which will give the clear idea regarding the treatment.

Hope this helps out.

Regards...

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

thanks for sharing your concern.

filling is done when the decay is restricted only to enamel and dentin.

root canal is done when pulp tissue is affected,directly or indirectly.

therefore both are different modes of treatment and not an alternative.

hope i have answered your query.

thanks.
take care.
Dentist Dr. Benley George's  Response
There is no judgement between RCT and filling. A normal filling is done when dental caries is at the level of enamel or dentin. If there is pulpal involvement the filling done is RCT.
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dr. Manish Gupta's  Response
Well you cant compare the two forms of treatment as both have their specific indications. Generally if a tooth can not be saved by simple filling then it has to be treated by RCT..... so it has to be decided by your dentist which treatment modality is best for you!
Dentist Dr. E. Bharathikannan's  Response
hello,

filling and rct are different levels of treatment. cavity which cant be filled by filling will go for rct in which the damaged pulp tissue is totally removed and filled with artificial material. it cant be compared to decide which is best. take care!
Dentist, Endodontics Dr. B. M. Rana's  Response
friend both the treatment modalities are best but which has to be carried out on your tooth thats totally depends on the tooth condition,i just tell you the symptoms so that you yourself can decide the treatment modality you should go for,if you have cold sensitivity to a particular tooth then only filling can be done and if you have sensitivity to hot then the only option is go for the rct,pay a visit to a dentist who can only judge corelating x-ray with clinical observation.
Thanks and wish you a good health

Dentist Dr. Varun Mishra's  Response
welome to HCM,
rct is done when the infection surpasses the pulp of the tooth,, while filling is done when the infection is in enamel,dentin,, ie in the hard structure. if teeth pains on touching or on grinding ,then due to infection below teeth rct is advised most of times. hope you are cleared.
thanks
Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
HI, root canal treatment and filling are two different procedures which are carried out depending upon the extent of tooth decay. You dentist will decide the treatment plan after taking an X ray of the decayed tooth whether a filling will suffice (initial stages) or a RCT has to be carried out (deeper cavities). Take care!