Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

What treatment should be taken for hyper pigmentation ?

Hi I am 35 married female suffering from hyperpigmentation on cheeks and uneven spots all over face . Have tried every treatement except laser and the problem doesnt go. I am not on contraceptives either. Please help You answer doesnt help since diagnosis might be wrong. Please note I dont have a baby yet nor I am on contraceptive... nope nothing wrong with me in this area, its just that I just got married
Asked On : Mon, 1 Aug 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  120
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum,

According to your history ,it seems that you have MELASMA,since you quoted that you are not on oral contraceptive pills and you have not had any issues either.These questions you would have faced by many doctors .
It is true that such pigmentation is often seen after pregnancy or one who is on OCPs.But we have been seeing such pigmentation on those who have not had such a history either.So,even if you never had a baby ,one can have such pigmentation problem ,just because of slight shift in the hormones in the body.It is the estrogen level in the blood which is more responsible for such pigmentation.
If this is melasma,we are dealing with a very chronic problem.It can wax and vain also.Sunlight & stress also has a big role to play.

The best advise here would be to use a triple combination cream to begin with ,and then gradually taper it off.Don't use it for more than 2 weeks .As you taper it gradually start using hydroquinone based cream at night .Along with this also start using kojic acid & vit c based creams in day and evening.But please don't forget to use a good spf sunscreen daily thrice.Sunscreen is mandatory.

You can even under go chemical peeling from a experienced dermatologist.

Results of this all might vary from patient to patient.

Now being a laser expert I've myself done number of cases with lasers too.The best of the laser for this is Q-switched Nd:yag laser .But one cannot guarantee you any great results with this either.The results are variable here too.And its costly also.

Melasma has always been a very frustrating problem both for the patient and the treating doctor.It is one thing which can destroy the reputation of most reputed doctor. So,have patience and kindly consult a dermatologist for this .Please do not take any beauty parlor treatment for this .

This is one possibility what came in my mind.
Secondly it might be freckles too since you said you have spots all over your face.Lasers is best for treating freckles .You may require only one sitting for this.

Kindly consult a experienced dermatologist who can diagnose and treat your problem.

I hope this answers your query,if you any further questions,kindly write back to us.

Dr.Bharat chawda
Answered: Mon, 1 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dermatologist Dr. Gaurav Patel's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic forum
you have melasma or chloasma.
it is due to hormonal reason ,sunlight,heredity,drug.
you need to consult dermatologist.
you need to apply sunscreen regularly.
kligman formula cream will do best for you .
there are many treatment for you .
dont apply any other cream or lotion over face.

i hope i have answered your question.
Answered: Mon, 1 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Aseem's  Response
Welcome to HCM
Read yor prob, such type of pigmentation is more common in women,appeare after pregnancy or due to use of contraceptive pills. as this is related to women sex hormons. for it you should apply ointment HSQ n azylic acid. along with it you should thae protine n vitamin C riched diet which helps in growing healthy skin.
Answered: Mon, 1 Aug 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor