What is the best treatment for severe dandruff?

Excessive hairfall and thining for 10 months. There dandruff like excessive flaking and itching of the scalp for the last 4 monthd.The comes out with the white root bulb. 6 months ago had stomach issues that still continue. It was daignosed as IBS caused by SIBO. Ferritin levels were low at 15. Unable to take iron supplements as it bothers the stomach. I am really irritated by the flaking of the scalp, itching and scalp is very sensitive to touch. Have visible scalp in plenty of spots and not seeing any new hair growth. Few months ago really small and baby fine hair was also falling out. Have similar flaking on the forehead closer to eyebrows, in the eyebrows and the folds of the nose. Its more powdery kind. Had been daignosed with sebhoerroc dermatitis in the past where ketoconazole shampoo has helped and I was able to get rid of the flaking. But in the last 10 months thst os not helping at all. Your advice will ne appreciated
Mon, 2 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Vitamin deficiencies like B, C & folic acid do cause dandruff, dermatitis or eczema. Take vitamin supplements & avoid oily-fatty-spicy food. Take Omeprazole with Iron tabs & you will be comfortable without having any stomach issues. Stay away from addictions.

For hair hygiene it is recommended to wash your hair daily, use anti-dandruff shampoo(selinium sulphide -selsun blue) or any shampoo which has ketoconazole or salicylic acid, Zinc pyrithion(Head & Shoulders). Have patience & get your laundry washed with savlon or dettol. Use less cosmetic products on your hair. If you are still uncomforatable you can use combination of clotrimazole & miconazole cream. Take care.

Dr Nupur K