What is the best medication for high cholesterol and high LDL's ?

What is the best medication for high cholesterol and high LDL's (bad chol) with the fewest side effects? I recently found out that both my total chol and LDL s are high (225 and 160). This is a consistent pattern over the last couple of years. It s in my family and I am aware of the importance of diet and exercise and not smoking already. I would like to know which medications effect the liver the most and what success or lack of success people have had with the satins or any other cholesterol medications they are taking. I am going to start taking one, but haven t decided which one or how many there are. Thank you in advance.
Wed, 16 Dec 2009