Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

What could be the right solution for body dimorphic disorder ?

i have body dysmorphic disorder , for which i am being treated with fluvoxamin 50mg, twice daily, lonazep..5mg in the nite and .25 in the morning, although my thoughts regarding the body obsession have improved, but i am feeling very lethargic and have lot of pain in the eyes, and is difficult to keep my eyes open and feel like lying down all the time, but dont get rest. please help. well, i am 53 years old male(indian). i have been suffering since last 30 years from thoughts of male inadequacy, although physicaly things are alright, i think that i have a feminine face , hands, and have subnormal genital organs, and these thoughts torment me regularly, i have been on various kinds of anti depressants, ssri also but to no avail. i suffer from E.D. as well and i am not married. please help
Asked On : Fri, 8 Apr 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  91
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
  User's Response

Thank you for sharing the details of your problem. Fluvoxamine is probably helping you by suppressing the obsessive nature of the thoughts. But the fact is that you may still need to work on your thoughts.

The best addition you can make to the current treatment regime is that of Psychotherapy. Cognitive Therapy is immense potential in treating Body Dysmorphic Disorder. The disorder is eventually nothing but your thoughts about self. And there are probably a lot of irrational beliefs hidden under the surface thoughts of "looking feminine". Going in for Psychotherapy can help you explore those core beliefs and thoughts, modify them so that they do not create the emotional disturbances, and lead a much happier life. It might take care of the other problems such as the ED.

Hope this helps.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

Answered: Fri, 8 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor