What causes sore throat and pain while swallowing?

I have had a sore throat for over a month. It feels like there is something blocking my throat as it hurts to swallow and hurts to talk. I also get a cough like its trying to expell something and sometimes get a lot of mucus feeling like it s caught in there. When it first started it felt like there was a strained muscle in my neck, my throat burned a bit and I had a sharp stabbing pain that hurt when I turned a certain way, swallowed or spoke. It came and went oddly. Now after a month, it feels like I have a golf ball in my throat and the front of my neck is tender to the touch. I think it s swollen as well. It hurts more on the left side than the right.
Wed, 11 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Throat pain accompained with difficulty swallowing, and foreing body sensation, might be related to many health problems.
Some of them are ,allergic reactions, infection(tonsillitis), gastric reflux, any abnormal grouth/cyst in neck etc.
I recommend you to consult an otorhinolaringologyst to perform a physical examination and a fiberoptic laringoscopy, this is the only way to determine the cause of your complaints, because the treatment depends from the cause.
Meanwhile you can use Ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for pain relief.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.