Warm welcome to Healthcaremagic.com
I have evaluated your query for your boyfriend in details .
* There are variety of reasons for persistent hiccup
- damage to vagus
or phrenic nerve
leading to diaphragm irritation
- consumption of too much spicy
- intake of excess carbonated beverages , alcohol
- others .
* So this requires detailed case study , rather than simply thinking as
wrong primary diagnosis .
* Stopping of hiccups will be dependent upon the basic cause .
Wishing him fine recovery .
Feel free to ask any further queries .