What causes persistent heavy menstrual flow?

I m 25 yrs old and I ve been having my period for almost a month. My Dr. gave me birth control to help stop my period and get back on its regular cycle of 5 days. My problem is I m still experiencing heavy bleeding and I m soaking through super tampons & my pants within an hour. I m also having really bad cramps. She said this is normal but it doesn t feel normal. I m a litlle scared. Can someone help please.
Tue, 27 Mar 2018
OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology 's  Response
Hello. I know excessive bleeding can be distressful and an inconvenience to work and social life. The combined contraceptive pills can help reduce bleeding. If it is not helping then you could take Tranexamic Acid 500mg three times and Mefenamic acid 500 mg three times a day. This should reduce the amount of bleeding and associated pain. Take these for a week.

Some investigations are recommended. You should get blood tests done - full blood count and a clotting screen. A pelvic ultrasound will reassure that uterus and ovaries are normal and there is no fibroid or abnormality there that could lead to excessive bleeding.