Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

What causes insensitivity in the right side of the face ?

Half of my face is not reacting well. When I talk or laugh, my left face is reacting and my right face doesn t. My right side feels like dead but I can feel a touch on that side. It doesn t work well. My eye on that side is constantly watering. I went to the hospital four days ago but they couldn t find out what is wrong. I also went to the dentist but she said there is no cavity so i should come back on Monday for cleaning of my teeth and then we will recheck. I was seriously bleeding yesterday when I was brushing my teeth. I don t feel any pain which is weird. Do you may be know what is wrong.
Asked On : Sat, 15 Jan 2011
Answers:  6 Views:  94
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response
you should see a doctor to rule out facial palsy.You need to have a neurological examination.A dentist wont help much at this point.A nerve involvement is certainly there and needs to be identified.
Answered: Sat, 15 Jan 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Thanks Rhea Chanda, we will see a doctor today
Answered: Sat, 15 Jan 2011
Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
you have two different problems and two different solutions
1)bleeding in your gums while brushing is due to gingivitis and that can be cured by your dentist by scaling and curretage and medications viz (A)levoflox 500 mg twice daily for 5 days (B)nice tab twice daily for 3 days (C)luke warm saline rinses for 6-8 times daily for a week

2)the next thing is problems on your right side of face which is most probably due to facial nerve palsy
for this you would need to visit a maxillofacial surgeon or neurosurgeon whoever is available in your area
both of them are qualified to treat nerve palsy of face
dont worry facial nerve palsy is curable , the only thing is that you would have to take medication for long duration
hope that helps
Answered: Thu, 1 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Dentist Dr. Prachi Mishra's  Response
you should visit a dentist for facial paralysis. it occurs due to any damage to the nerve supplying your facial muscles and because your muscles of the face do not function properly you feel like your half of the face is not working properly. i will suggest you to visit your doctor for proper treatment & what you can do at home is- exercise your facial muscles by tightening and relaxing them
-take proper care of your eyes .use some eye drop
-also maintain good oral hygiene
bleeding while brushing is a sign of periodontitis get your scaling and root planing done by a dentist...
take care
Answered: Thu, 1 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for writing to us.
From description it seems that you are suffering from facial/bell's palsy.
Bell's palsy is a disorder of the nerve that controls movement of the muscles in the face. Bell's palsy can be diagnosed just by taking a health history and doing a complete physical exam.
Often, no treatment is needed. Symptoms often begin to improve right away. However, it may take weeks or even months for the muscles to get stronger.
Corticosteroids may reduce swelling around the facial nerve
•Medications can fight the virus that may be causing Bell's palsy
Surgery to relieve pressure on the nerve has not been shown to benefit most people.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Answered: Fri, 2 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
from what you describe i deduce that you are suferring from facial nerve palsy
so what i would adivise is that you visit your nearby maxillofacial or neuro surgeon and get the examination done
you may need some steroid administration
in the mean while you can do following
1.methylcobalamine 1500 mcg tab per day for 2-3 months
dont worry facial nerve paralysis is curable and infact symptoms gradually reduce within weeks even if you dont take any medication
saying that i would also advise that you pay a visit to the above mentioned specialist to avoid any further complications
hope this helps
Answered: Fri, 2 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor