What causes elevated BP even after taking double dose of Lisinopril?

HI. I have taken Lisinopril/HCTZ 20/12 for years and bp has been stabile. I monitored it this last weekend and I can see it is higher than usual. I took readings over 4 days. My physician doubled my dose to lisinopril/HCTZ 40/24 to take one time a day. Took this eve. I am used to taking the med and urinating for an hour or so. AFter three hours, no increase in urination and bp is even higher than it has been all weekend. Oncall could not give much of an answer. No pharmacist to call at this hour. How many days could it take for this med to take effect
Mon, 14 Jan 2019
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

Ok, several issues. I cannot say in your particular case even with an examination and would hae to get some labs to fully evaluate.

But Lisinopril should never have become the first drug to use in hypertension because very little of it gets in and most are digested.

This amount varies especially whetehr food is taken with it. So, switching to a similar drug that does actually work usually fixes things in under a week.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Matt Wachsman, Addiction Medicine Specialist