What causes canker sore?

I woke up with a very tight jaw, limited motion, I thought from grinding in my sleep, and the next day a canker sore. I just had surgery to remove a benign lump (last week) Wondering if there is any connection.... haven't called my doc yet. Just thought today, how odd....
Mon, 1 Sep 2014
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
The soreness or ulcer could be a aphthous ulcer. The most common cause is strrss or post surgical(removal of lump) or nutritional deficiency. Nothing to be panic, consult a oral physician and get it evaluated.
Meanwhile you can take symptomatic treatment like topical anesthetic like 2% lignocaine gel. Apply 3-4times daily. Consume nutritious food.lead a stress free life. I hope my answer will help you. Take care
Dentist Dr. Dipti Singh's  Response
Hello, thank you for consulting with healthcaremagic.
It is not necessary that the canker sore is because of this benign tumor only, it can be because of stress, or trauma from tooth or stomach problem.
Better that once you should visit your dentist and get it examined and then plan the treatment accordingly.
Hope it will help you.