What are the symptoms of kidney stone?

an elderly friend has pain in low back and into left side; becoming unbearable. CT does not show anything like kidney stone, all internal female organs look o.k. cannot have mri as she has a pacer. does have some degenerative disc changes; but no compression fractures. any suggestions for cause or other testing that may identify issue would be helpful. she is 80 and not a complainer. had her own garden till this year.
Tue, 9 Aug 2016
Urologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist,i can understand her anxiety.
To diagnose a stone,a plain CT scan is enough. MRI isn't done routinely.
If no stone's seen,there's no stone present.An ultrasound-KUB is done first.
Urine routine may show blood cells.Mostly the pain is likely due to disc changes. She's advised to have regular physiotherapy for the back pain.
It would be good to write,if she's taking any other medication.
If you've any other doubts,send them to me,as a direct question.
Dr.Matthew J. Mangat.