What are the signs of having an avascular necrosis ?

Yes I live in Dayton Ohio and had a bunionectomy and hammertoe surgery in november and had some complications...I apparently had some underlying autoimmune disease that caused some delayed healing. I had to have my wounds opened up and had to have a wound vac for 2 months. I am a very active 41 year old with no underlying health issues besides some vague autoimmune concerns. I need to have some revision done for a number of reasons...my big toe is still turned on its side due to the healing process and my second toe is still sticking up in the air. I had a ruptured plate in the ball of my foot when all this first happened and then a dislocated second toe (last may- finally had surgery in Nov).I still feel like I am walking on a pebble. Basically I am needing to find an orthopedic surgeon who can do a revision but also someone who is very experienced or can collaborate with a rheumatologist. I had another MRI done and it says I have possible delayed union or developing a non-union osteotomy...marrow edema...chondromalacia (which I didn t know you could get in your foot)...an area that may have avascular necrosis...mild degenerative changes. If you have any wisdom please let me know...I need to find someone who is an expert.
Thu, 19 Apr 2018
Rheumatologist 's  Response

Do you feel hurt to bear weight? Usually having an avascular necrosis is very painful.

Not sure about the revision part of the surgery. You should see an orthopedic surgeon and you may take an over-the-counter NSAIDS like Ibuprofen or Naproxen.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Priya Sadanandan