Hi & Welcome.
Unienzyme contains activated charcoal & digestive enzymes fungal diastase and papain) and is commonly prescribed in the treatment of indigestion
, constipation & related problems.
Generally it is a safe medication however it may cause skin irritation, abdominal pain
, loose motions, dark colored stools in some people.
This drug is classified by FDA as pregnancy category ‘C’, which means animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans to prove its safety during pregnancy hence the fetus (unborn baby) may be potential risks of getting its harmful effects if taken during pregnancy.
Euphorbia prostrata extract is a herbal medication claimed to be effective in the treatment of digestive problems. There is some evidence that it might cause the contraction of the uterus which may result in a miscarriage
In view of the above, therefore it is not safe to take these medicines during pregnancy.
I would advise you certain life style changes to prevent constipation during pregnancy
1. Include more fiber in your diet. A diet high in fiber helps prevention of constipation. Increase the intake of fresh fruits, vegetables, beans, peas, lentils, bran cereals, prunes, and whole-grain bread.
2. Drink plenty of fluids. You should drink at least eight 12-ounce glasses of water a day. This will help keep your bowels soft and moving smoothly through your digestive tract.
3. Avoid taking large meals as they can overload your stomach and make it harder for your digestive system Take five or six smaller meals to help with constipation relief.
4. Regular physical activity like daily walks and other aerobic activities can help prevent pregnancy.
5. If you are taking too much iron supplements
, try to reduce their dose to prevent constipation after consulting your doctor.
6. Consider using a stool softener
like Docusate or fiber supplement like Metamucil
(Psyllium) if the above measures fail to relieve the constipation after consulting your doctor.
Hope the suggestions given above would be useful in preventing constipation during your pregnancy.
A feedback is appreciated.