What are the risks in High BP at the age of 63?

My pop-in law ,age 63,is suffering from high BP 240/110 and this goes on fluctuating, what problems can he fa?
Sun, 18 Jul 2010
's  Response
there is a category in medical science for measurement of the severity of hypertension. a diastolic BP (the lower unit) of 80-90 mm of Hg is mild, 90-104 mm of Hg is moderate and 105 mm of Hg + is severe hypertension. So ur pop in law is suffering from severe hypertension. there may be many complications regarding the hypertension. Some of them are: - 1. Cerebrovascular accidents (stroke) 2. Left ventricular hypertrophy and left ventricular failure (enlargement of the chamber of the heart) (as a result of which the patient may suffer from shortness of breath first after strain and gradually becoming spontaneous, oedema of the lungs making the respiration more difficult, swelling of the legs and buttocks) 3. Angina (pain of heart due to reduced blood supply to the heart muscles) or Myocardial infarction (death of a small portion of heart muscle due to persistent obstruction of blood supply) 4. Heart blocks. (Loss of blood supply to the tissues of the heart which originate the contraction and relaxation force of the heart) 5. Peripheral vascular disease (blood circulation to the periphery i.e. arms and legs will be hampered as a result of which the patient will suffer from cramps especially at night in the arms or legs, cramps while walking etc). Plz remember the situations described above are rather serious. The more severe the hypertension is the more probability to develop these complications. Ask ur pop in law to consult a cardiologist immediately to get control of his hypertension if he has not done it yet.