• question-icon

Urge to evacuate after constipation. Have normal diet. PSVT episodes. Abdominal distension, why?

Dear Doctor For some time now i am having constipation and feel a urge for evacuation but after lots of straining,only a small quantity of stool is passed. so far i am taking my normal diet and have felt that rice makes me sick with heaviness in upper abdomen. During a throat infection,when i took Amoxycilin with lactic acid baccilus,it was (constipation) gone for few days.I do not feel any abdominal pain , nausea .I have not tried any laxatives. Sir,i had three-four episodes of PSVT in last ten years,and is presently on verapamil120SR.Also these episodes of PSVT occured only after abdominal distension ,and rumbling in intestine . i shall wait for your reply with regards Himadri Bhattacharya
Mon, 30 Jun 2014
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
You have not mentioned your age. I would advise you to get a thyroid test - TSH done. It would be advisable to get a stool for occult blood yes done . this has to be done for three consecutive days.If these tests are abnormal you might need further testing . I would suggest using a fibre supplement like Naturolax which will help you with complete evacuation