Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Treatment for dengue fever?

Hi My son is in Indonesia and has been diagnosed with Dengue Fever . This is day 7 for him and he is even more exhausted today. Is this normal and when should his wbc and platelete count improve?
Asked On : Wed, 14 Mar 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  571
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response

A typical "dengue experience" lasts around a week to ten days. It commences with loss of appetite, a high fever and aching joints. It is after the fever subsides that the changes in platelet count normally occur. This count needs to be closely monitored as treatment is determined by how low your platelets are.

There is no "cure" for dengue. Instead painkillers can be taken to bring down the fever. It is important to note that aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen (otherwise known as brufen or nurofen) must be avoided as they 'thin' the blood and can worsen the situation. Muscle relaxants can be taken in an attempt to reduce the bone and joint pain. Once hospitalised, patients may be placed on a drip and have a blood test each day to monitor their platelet level. In cases where platelets drop too far a platelet transfusion may be given and in extreme (life threatening) situations a blood transfusion takes place.
You need to monitor his illness by admission to hospital.
Answered: Wed, 14 Mar 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor