Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Thick, scaly skin on scalp, spread to hands, genitals, face. Taking oxytetracycline. Treatment options?

my son has thick scaley skin on his scalp that has spread to all his body, badly effected areas are hands, feet , genitals, head and face. He has had this for 10 months and been to doctor several times. He has been prescribed different lotions non of which have had any effect. He was referred to the hospital where they took a skin sample although when he went back for results was told they had lost the test and results and had no record of him. Even though they admitted this they prescribed him oxytetracycline and told to take them for 3 months and if no better to go back. he has been taking these now for a month with no effect.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
From the description provided, it could be seborrheic dermatitis or psoriasis.
The diagnosis can only be confirmed by a proper clinical history and examination. Sometimes to differentiate the two, biopsy is required. From the description provided i do not think tetracycline would help you out. Please consult a qualified dermatologist nearby.
Both the conditions are easily treatable.
HOpe that helped
Answered: Wed, 31 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor