What causes extreme facial flushing and erythema?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my question is regarding the redness of my skin basically I have a fair skin tone, and my redness occur on my check area's. I follow a proper skin care routine 2 time's facewash ( Himalayan face wash), moisturiser ( Nivea Soft), and using of sunscreen that is (Aveeno spf 50+). But sometimes if I forgotten to use my sunscreen my redness escalates to it's high point and than I use petroleum gelly to reduce it by applying it at night some times it works well or take long time to bring that redness to it's mild position, and I suffer redness 365 days in a year.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for facial redness

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
I would have preferred an Image of your skin condition. You may upload in "Reports Section"
Perhaps you have Rosacea which is a chronic condition characterized by facial flushing and erythema. It is more common in fair skin tone individuals.
You may initially try A - Derma's "Rheacalm cream". It is a soothing cream and claimed to reduce facial redness and reactivity. Use it twice daily, morning and evening. However, if this proves insufficient then you may use Erythego gel (0.33% brimonidine ) once daily at night. Brimonidine is a vasoconstrictor. It is an approved treatment for facial redness/ rosacea.
Continue with the sunscreen. Use it regularly during the day.
Instead of Himalaya face wash use a gentle cleanser for face wash e.g Cetaphil gentle cleansing lotion.