Welcome to Health Care Magic
You have problem of primary insomnia
. You are taking melatonin
and no significant improvement noted. I will advise you that there is no use to take multiple doses of melatonin, as it is a sleep hormone drug, it improves sleep by improving sleep cycle
in sleep centers in brain. If you will take multiple drugs, the excess amount will be only metabolized. Recently a newer drug which is an improvement of melatonin only has been launched. It is Ramelteon
, it has been proved to be more efficacious than melatonin and it has no abuse potential. You can try it after advise of your doctor.
You have early as well as middle insomnia or difficulty in sleeping as well as multiple awakening in night. Medicines like Zolpidem
extended release can be used in such cases, as they have very low abuse potential. Other drugs like benzodiazepine
can also be used, but only under supervision of a psychiatrist
as they have very high abuse potential. So visit a good psychiatrist for proper evaluation.
One more thing I will advise you to improve your sleep hygiene-
- Fix your time for sleep, and go to bedroom only when you have to sleep.
- Don't even think about sleeping on bed as repetitive thoughts about further worsen insomnia.
- Take warm water bath in evening
- Don't use bedroom for study or watching TV. Use bedroom for sleeping only.
- Don't talk on phone while on bed.
- Frequent change in position of bed in bedroom will also help.
So try these things at home and visit a psychiatrist for proper evaluation of sleep.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi