Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Swollen leg after injury. What should I do?

Hey. My boyfriend, being the stubborn 18 year old he is, has a scrape on his leg from walking in a field at night. Despite the fact that we walk through that particular field quite frequently, this one time, he had tripped on something and received a large cut on his shin. I didn t see the object that had cut him, as he chose to ignore it and walk on, but he says it was from a piece of metal sticking up from the ground... He says nothing is wrong with him, but his leg is swollen where his sock is normally put and he walks with a slight limp.. I m unsure whether he s doing it on purpose or not though. He says it s alright no matter how much I ask, and he cringes and yells at me when I go anywhere near it with any type of medication such as polysporin , rubbing alcohol , soap and warm water, and peroxide . I don t know what it is, and he simply refuses to seek attention from a doctor.. Please tell me what I should do. Whether it s serious enough that I should take him to the emergency room, or whether it s fine. Ps. He had cut it either yesterday or the day before... Help please. :-(
Asked On : Thu, 8 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  40
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response

I have studied your case history.

clean the wound with betadine and give compression dressing.
If wound is large you may need medical check up.
You will need x ray if fracture is suspected.
Clinical examination is important to rule out any vessel injury.
So consult your treating doctor.
For these symptoms analgesic and medication can be started.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care.
Answered: Wed, 30 Jul 2014
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor