Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Swollen bruised lump on the shin after an injury. Do I have to get an X-ray?

Hi I smashed my shin bone, just under my knee , into the corner of the wall from slipping over, on Saturday which it s now Tuesday. It s extremely swollen, my whole leg and there s a massive lump where it was hit, there s also major bruising . After putting it up an resting when I stand It feels like it has pressure on it and its kind of painful but hard to explain. Wondering if I should get x rays or bother going to a doctor?
Asked On : Fri, 29 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  68
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.

From the description, I feel that you might have developed as SOFT TISSUE HEMATOMA secondary to trauma.

If you are able to walk normally, then a fracture is unlikely and I dont think you need to rush to the ER. But if you are worried and concerned, then go ahead.

The initial management of the Hematoma is as follows -
* Rest to the injured part and dont involve in putting additional strain on the injured tissues.
* Ice packing should be applied for about 20 minutes once in every 2 hours.
* Use elastic compression bandage around the swollen area
* Elevation of the limb
* Analgesic & anti inflammatory medications

Hope this information is helpful. Good day

Answered: Sun, 14 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal's  Response

Thank you for your query.

If in 3 days the swelling has not subsided and you are having discomfort then it means that there is some problem which needs to be addressed. It shall be better if you consult your doctor who shall examine the injured area and, if required, get an x-ray done. In the interim you should take some anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen to give you relief both in the pain and the swelling.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you an early recovery.


Rajiv K Khandelwal
Answered: Sun, 14 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor