• question-icon

Surge in acne normal after having Mercilon?

Hi, I was on Alesse 28 in North America for about 3 years. I recently re-located to the UK and have been put in Mercilon and have experience a surge in acne. I was wondering two things - 1. Is this normal and 2. Is this pill dosage similar to the pill I was taking in North America. Thank you
Fri, 29 Nov 2019

Both Alesse and Mercilon are combination birth control pills. However, the progesterone used in the two are fifferent. Alesse contains levonorgestrol and Mercilon contains desogestrel. So try switching back to any levonorgrstrel containing birth pills to see if acne diminishes.

Hope this answers your query
Please address further questions here
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal