• question-icon

Suggest treatment for pleural effusion in lungs

My Dad had quadruple bypass surgery with an aortic valve replacement 14 months ago. He is now dealing with pleural effusions in his left lung. First time the Dr. drained 1500cc's of fluid approximately two months ago. Today the Dr. tried to drain fluid again but the fluid has become a jell-like consistency and Dr. was only able to drain 50cc's. What are possible causes and treatment for this condition.

Wed, 31 Jan 2018
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
In my opinion, you should definitely send investigations of pleural fluid to get some diagnosis.
So get done pleural fluid protein, sugar, routine, microscopy, culture and sensitivity report.
He might be having tubercular effusion or empyema (bacterial infection).
He may need higher antibiotic or anti tubercular drugs on the basis of reports.
So consult pulmonologist and discuss all these.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your father. Thanks.