Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
185 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for lump on collar bone

I am a 53 year old female in good health. About 6 weeks ago I woke up with a sore neck and when I felt my collarbone there was quite a large lump. When I saw the doctor (not my usual as he was on holidays) she was very concerned and sent me for a chest x-ray and blood work. That came back showing no disease and within normal ranges. She told me I must have had the lump a lot longer and that it was just fat. I went to my regular doctor and he said they would definitely find out what was wrong so I went for an ultrasound (showed nothing) and then a CT scan (also showed nothing). He said he was surprised because he thought it would show a lypoma but he said it must be just fat. I m having shortness of breath and can t decide if this is anxiety or related. What next steps would you suggest? My doctor said I should see a cosmetic surgeon to have the lump removed. I m not doing this for cosmetic reasons. I m concerned about the lump - The right side of my neck is a bit swollen too (it wasn t at first) but not near as big. Do you think this is just an infection?
Tue, 17 Nov 2015
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response

I have read your query and understand the concerns.

It could be lymph node enlargement or cystic swelling or bony swelling or some underlying pathology.

But visual inspection on the lump/swelling would confirm the diagnosis.

As you have underwent almost all investigation there is no need to go for further tests.

At the moment, my suggestion will be to visit a surgeon and plan for the clinical examination and some relevant tests.

If the limp is lipoma then you may go for simple excision which will take hardly 10 minutes and if it is some underling pathology then you will need thoroughly examination and treatment.

Hope this information will help you.

I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I was under a lot of stress of just finding out my husband of 10years was cheeting on me and the next morning I was rubbing my collar bone and...