Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
140 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for constipation

I'm a 31 year-old overweight female. About a week ago, there was a death in the family. At this same time, I had been on a diet eating lots of fruit and veggies for about two weeks, but that evening, ended up having an undercooked pizza. This seemed to back me up. After that same night, I haven't really been able to go to the bathroom, but didn't realize until about 5 days later that I was constipated. It has given me pain in my back and mostly in my stomach, of course, because of the bloating. I finally took a laxative last night, and it helped - a little. It still hurts at the very top of my stomach when I take a deep breath. It also hurts if I press on this top of my stomach (right below my breasts) with my fingers. I don't feel as if I'm cured. I still can't go to the bathroom without the help of the laxative. What should I do?
Mon, 4 Sep 2017
Report Abuse
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hi and welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thank you for your query. I understand your concerns and I will try to help you as much as I can.

In your case, constipation may be caused by several issues, however you should try first with changing lifestyle and dietary habits. You need to increase fiber intake. Good fiber sources include bran and other whole grains found in cereals, breads, and brown rice, vegetables such as brussels sprouts, carrots, and asparagus, Fresh fruits, or dried fruits such as raisins, apricots, and prunes Beans. Also, you should exercise regularly. Moving your body will keep your bowels moving, too. Second, you may at times need to try a laxative such as Fleet Phospho-Soda, Milk of Magnesia, or glycerin suppositories. If there wont be improvement on these measures, you should consider doing diagnostic tests such as colonoscopy, anal sphincter manometry and food allergy testing. In some cases it may be also sign of tumors so it should be ruled out if symptoms persist.
I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact us in every time.
Kindly regards. Wish you a good health.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, My father, 58, came from India to Germany 1month ago. He is having trouble of not having motion since 3days. It never happened to...