Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Suffering from urinary infection. Have diabetes. High sugar levels despite being on insulin. What can be done?

My husband is a diabetic for more than 10 yrs,.He is 77 yrs old. At present he is suffering from an urine infection. The puss cells are between 35-40. But Culture test reveals there is no growth. He never had very high glocose levels before, but since of late his sugar level is extremely high. He is on inslulin but the levels are not coming down to normal. Is it due to the infection or what. I am very worried about his sugar level. I am humbly requesting you to advise me. Thank you. Gnana from Sri Lanka
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  29
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

Having urinary tract infections in uncontrolled diabetes is not uncommon. I would recommend that your husband be adequately treated for the infection and get his blood sugars under control. This would effectively treat the entire disorder. I hope this helps. Please consult a physician if you continue to have problems.

Take care and have a lovely day !
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Nsah Bernard's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Bastians,

Thanks for posting on HCM

UTI usually complicates diabetes and can cause high sugar level to persist despite the original insulin shots. Most of the diabetes at your husband's age are insulin resistant ( type 2) and his insulin type might need to be changed or dosage increased to doses that can control the sugar to normal level.
The UTI will have to be treated despite culture showing no significant growth.
Do get an appointment immediately with your doctor as your husband's situation may got worst.
Sugar control and UTI treatment is essential for your husband's survival.

Hope this heps
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor