Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Suffering from hypertension and BP fluctuations. Done Lipid profile test. Taking Amlong. Should I take this medicine or it can be controlled through exercise and diet?

Hello doctor, My age is 32 years and I am diagnosed with hypertension . My baseline BP at the clinic is 140/90 to 150/100, but when I check with a home BP cuff it fluctuates between 110 to 130s systolic and 70 to 80s diastolic. Not sure if my BP cuff is showing correct readings. My doctor prescribed me Amlong 2.5 mg to be taken once a day. Should I continue this drug for life or is it possible to bring it back under control by exercise and diet. I was basically sedentary for more than 6 months to 1 year. I had my lipid profile checked and the reading are as follows: Total cholesterol 190, triglycerides 176, HDL 46, LDL 107, VLDL 35. My height is 5 feet 4 inches and I weigh 55 kg. What is your advice. Thank you
Asked On : Sun, 1 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  59
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear Siju,
as per JNC you are pre-hypertensive. And my advice to you would be no medicine & you can bring down this BP by doing life style modification i.e- regular exercise, less oily and less salty diet. as your other investigation are S/O of dyslipidemia too you can take Atorvastatin 10mg for one month then again go for lipid profile if it comes within normal limits, stop medications and continue with lifestyle modification.
Answered: Mon, 9 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor