Suffer middle back pain, x-ray shows minor marginal osteophytes and degenerative changes. What is the cause ?

i have had middle back pain for a few years and over the last few months have had 2 episodes lasting about 9 to 14 days in agony, having to lay down for 95 per cent of the day, thats with pain releif and heat packs. i have had an xray which showed minor marginal osteophytes ( im not sure if thats the correct spelling), and degenerative changes. ive been seeing a doctor who says nothing is wrong, so i pushed to get a ct scan of my spine which i have right here with me on disc, i have a specialist appointmet on the 6th march, a long time away to be in agony. im 34 female 76 kgs, had a head on car accident in 07 with no injurys except sore for a few weeks from impact i guess, my car was going 100 km an hour and it totally wrote my car off. im not even sure how i came out of it with not even one scratch . i would just like to know what is wrong and what is causing my pain because ive just had enough, and i have a 3 year old and 13 year old i need to take care of. please help if you can. i cannot afford any payment and i understand if this stops me from getting help. thanks for your time. AAAAA
Thu, 14 Feb 2013
The changes to your vertebrae are due to wear and may be the result of your accident. This causes impingement of the nerve-roots as they leave your spine through the space between the vertebrae , this in turn can cause muscle spasm, which is a spinal cord reflex. It is often best treated conservatively, with pain management , postural care and correct exercise.