Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Stopped drinking after vomitting blood and being diagnosed with fatty liver with mild hepatomegaly. How to reverse condition?

I am taking 200 ml alcohal for the last about 16 yearrs daily. Recenty I have an apisode of mild blood vomit . I was detected having grade II fatty liver with mild hepatomegaly . My SGOT is 61 and SGPT level is 73. Cholestrol is 240 mg/dl. I have completely stopped alcohal for the last one week and started taking healthy diet. Please advise me medicine if any and how I can naturrally reverse the condition of my life
Asked On : Mon, 31 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  169
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, devinderadvocate,

The amount of alcohol you drink is more than 4-6 oz. that is supposedly
beneficial to the heart, depending on whether it is red wine or dark beer.
Unfortunately, the longer duration of drinking can have cumulative effect
on the body, especially liver or the heart. The enzyme levels in your case
are mildly elevated and you also have a high cholesterol level. Usually,
this combined with over weight leads to fatty liver. You state that your
fatty liver is Grade II. This is not very good unless you really take care
of it seriously. This can revert back to normal with proper measures.
Number one on the list is to stop drinking, which you have and I applaud
you for that. Next you need a high protein diet along with vitamins.
I recommend a super B-Complex Vitamin daily along with Vit-E 800 i.u. daily
and Vit-C 1000 mg. daily. Avoid high fatty foods and fried foods. Fresh fruits
and fresh vegetables are good.
After you follow these steps, in about three months your blood tests should
improve. Also, try to lose some weight if you are over. Regular excercise , three
times a week is good. If you need to take medication to lower the cholesterol, check
with your doctor.
I wish you the very best of health.
Answered: Thu, 3 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor